Neptune DOS + DDR Combo Package
Neptune Systems DOS Information
A multi-purpose dosing and fluid delivery system of uncompromising quality combined with the simplicity of Apex Fusion software wizards for operations such as:
- 2-part dosing (Calcium and Alkalinity)
- Other additives dosing
- Automatic water changes
- micro-quantity dosing
- delivery of liquid foods and supplements
The DOS connects to any Apex via its AquaBus connection. The true versatility and functionality of the DOS comes to life via the software wizards built into Apex Fusion. This takes dosing to a whole new level in terms of ease of use as well as functionality when compared to standalone dosing systems because the DOS is part of your Apex ecosystem. Not only can you integrate it into other operations and devices you have configured, but we also will be continuing to expand on its capabilities as time goes on via software updates to Apex Fusion.
2-part dosing made easy
The #1 reason people purchase a dosing system for their aquariums is for consistent and easy dosing of 2-part solutions (calcium and alkalinity) to their reef tanks. The DOS wizards in Apex Fusion take this to the next level by integrating a feedback loop from your water testing to make suggestions to fine tune the amount you dose each day. Simply put in your tank size and after a few days of entering testing results, it will help you refine your dosing amounts for the demand of your particular aquarium. No more guessing. No more fooling with the timings.
Water changes – the never ending chore of an aquarium
Hate doing water changes? – everyone does – so they never get done as often as they should. Not only that, water changes are disruptive to the stability of your system since all of that change is happening at once.
With the DOS all you do is place your empty vessel and your fresh stock of saltwater under your stand. Then, with the Apex Fusion wizard just tell it amount of water you want to change over what length of time and the hours of the day you want it to happen and it figures it all out for you. It will perform an automatic, continuous water change for you. It gets better. If you have our dual optical water sensing accessory Apex Fusion will send you an email or text message letting you know it is time to change out the jugs. Less time pumping, siphoning, and sloshing water and more time enjoying a great aquarium.
Micro-dosing of elements
If you need to dose tiny amounts of a particular solution, element or other fluid (like vodka dosing or Zeovit systems), the DOS is the perfect solution due to its precision controlled stepper motor. This ability to control pump movement in such a refined manner means that you can dose all the way down to a single drop of fluid at a time!
How is it built?
When it comes to dosing, it all starts with the peristaltic pump
First, lets talk about the pump hardware. Be aware that not all dosing pumps are built alike. Well, lets clarify that. Almost all OTHER dosing pumps are alike – but most ALL OTHERS are very different from the DOS.
Nearly all dosing systems on the market today use a standard, DC brush-driven motor. Why? Because it is economical. This is the same motor you might find in your child’s toy car. We thought that was just not adequate for an aquarium where you might have thousands of dollars invested. So, we spent over a year searching and testing pumps and motors and decided on using a pumps with industrial grade stepper motors in the DOS – the same type of motors used in high end robotics, 3D printing, and medical equipment. So, why does it matter?
- Precision - With the stepper motor pumps on the DOS, you have precise control each time you dose. And, you are guaranteed it will stay calibrated pretty much forever. On the other hand, with the standard DC motor pump found in most dosing systems, it cannot dose small quantities with ongoing accuracy and consistency. They also require ongoing calibration to account for the wear of the motor and the mechanisms. When pumps fall out of calibration, they dose either too much or too little – never a good thing considering an overdose to a tank will often be its demise.
- Variable Pump Speeds - One of the great features of the stepper motors on the DOS pumps is that they can be driven at various speeds depending on the purpose for which they are being used. For instance, dosing of vodka may require the slowest possible rotation while a water change use requires a much higher pump speed. The best part is that Apex Fusion wizards automatically select the proper speed based on the use and because of the stepper motor, accuracy is not compromised even at the higher speeds.
- Gearing and Drive Mechanism - The DOS uses a direct drive mechanism that will not slip, it will not strip, it will not grind to a halt. On the other hand, many other peristaltic dosing pumps used for aquariums have gears that can (and do) strip. Or, worse yet, some pumps work by using the friction of rubber rollers on the smooth metal motor shaft to make the pump spin. Foreign matter like salt creep, additives, etc. often get into the drive mechanisms of these pumps and make them fail or pump unknown amounts.
- Lifespan - The stepper-motor in the DOS has a MTBF (mean time before failure) of 5000 hours. Other systems with brush-driven DC motor pumps have lifespans measured of just a few hundred hours of use. This means the pumps on the DOS may have up to as much as 12x the lifespan of others.